As a designer, one of the spaces that I get asked most often to design is the kitchen. There’s no doubt that the kitchen is the heart of the home. Plus, the room that you get the most bang for your buck when reselling. Therefore, I have rounded up a few dream kitchen must-haves if you are updating or designing this space.
As far as kitchen trends, dark and moody paint colors for kitchen cabinets are becoming popular. However, I believe a white kitchen will always be classic and never go out of style. Therefore, have a little fun with the color or stain of your kitchen island or vent hood!
In Your Dream Kitchen
It would be a dream come true, if you could have every item on your wish list included in a kitchen. However, our budget usually brings us back to reality. Therefore, consider how your kitchen will function for your and your family. Think about what tasks you perform daily. Then, make a list of the kitchen ‘must-haves’ and a second list of ‘the wants.’ This will allow you to design a kitchen that functions best for your needs.
For example, marble countertops are beautiful yet expensive. However, they often chip, stain and scratch easily. So, I typically recommend quartz counters, which are more affordable and durable, for families. Consequently, if you are a daily coffee drinker, consider adding a hidden coffee station when designing your cabinets.
Dream Kitchen Must Haves
- Appliance garage or hidden appliances with cabinet fronts
- Deep drawers – removable pegs for stacks of dishes or pantry items
- Pull-out cutting board with trash chute and or recycling bins
- Pull-out shelves and racks within cabinet – pot organizers, spice racks
- Shaker style cabinets are trending – love the clean lines
- Floating or open kitchen shelves – latest kitchen design trend
- Decorative vent hoods – make a statement
- Designer tile finishes – color and pattern backsplashes are in
- High end hardware – mix and match finishes and metals
- Cleaner looking countertops – quartz is beautiful and budget friendly
Most Advanced Appliances
- Professional gas range – colorful or bold is in
- Convection oven vs. microwave – choose convection for versatility
- Smart appliances – touch screen ‘family hub’ refrigerators, automatic coffee makers
- Motorized blinds or shades – recommend 3 Day Blinds
- Smart lighting – voice/app/remote activated lighting & dimmable switches paired together
- Deep sinks – prefer over compartmentalized
- Pot fillers – so handy
- Touch activated faucets – even handier
- On trend lighting – chandeliers, pendants, under the cabinet
- Low maintenance flooring -ceramic tiles that look like hardwood
Kitchen Island with Purpose
- Seating area – built in benches, bar tops, casual dining
- Under counter appliances – microwave, dishwasher, wine fridge, ice makers
- Additional storage – always get the extra storage
- Antique or repurposed furniture – adds character to any room
- Waterfall kitchen island – modern, sleek, wow factor
Need sourcing on the kitchens that you see in these photos? Then, go to my Like to Know It page! From there, you will find lots of inspiration and sourced materials from my design boards! However, many of the trays, cutting boards and art seen in these gorgeous kitchens are from my shop, From: Susie!
I would love to know what is on your list of dream kitchen must-haves. So, leave me a comment and let’s dream together. Lastly, come pin with me on Pinterest for more design ideas!